Dittmer, Wagoner & Steele LLC.

Call Us Today: 614-800-2400

Caring And Courteous Attorneys Committed To Resolve Your Issue
2023 U.S News "Best Law Firms"
Tier 1 in Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
Super Lawyers
Super Lawyers | Rising Stars

Caring And Courteous Attorneys Committed To Resolve Your Issue

  • Super Lawyers
  • Super Lawyers | Rising Stars

Reintroducing an absent parent to children: 2 tips to remember

On Behalf of | Jul 15, 2021 | Child Custody

Things happen in life that sometimes pull parents away from their children. Sometimes, it is a problematic divorce that gets ugly. Eventually, some parents who have been away from their children will decide that it’s time to come back into their lives.

Unfortunately, not all cases of reintroduction of an absent parent go smoothly. It might take work from both parents to get the situation to work out in the way that’s best for the child. Here are two tips that may help.

Take things slowly

One of the most difficult things to do when reintroducing a parent to a child is to take things slowly. The parent might want to spend as much time as they can with the child. This could lead to stress for the child so it’s best to take things slowly. In some cases, the child might need the parent who’s been around to stay with them while they get to know the other parent. One-on-one visits with the parent who’s coming back might need to be short at first and then get progressively longer as time goes on.

Consider virtual communication

In some cases, talking to the parent over video chats or similar methods could help to help the child feel more comfortable with the parent. This might be a good way to bridge the gap between in-person visits as the child is starting to become accustomed to having the other parent around. 

Even if a parent has been absent, the child custody and visitation order should still be followed. While this might not be easy, it’s usually what’s best for the children. If you feel that there’s a reason for the parenting plan to be modified, however, it may be time to speak with an experienced advocate about your legal options.